The American University in Bulgaria, a leading higher education institution in the country, is looking to hire an interculturally competent (Junior) Psychologist/Counselor, willing to gain knowledge and experience in the area of psychological counseling, to support the work of the Counseling Center as part of the AUBG Health and Well-being Center. This is a full-time position based in Blagoevgrad.
- Provides individual and group counseling and psychological services to individual students and student groups in co-ordination with the Senior Psychologist.
- Provides psychological services support to faculty and staff in coordination with the Senior Psychologist.
- Provides crisis intervention and emergency psychological services to the university body.
- Provides psychological counseling and consultation services to students from vulnerable groups.
- Organizes and implements mental health-related prevention education activities, e.g. presentations, workshops, guest talks, on campus under the supervision of the Senior Psychologist
- Assists the Senior Psychologist in the development of new and updating of existing mental health-related policies and procedures.
- Assists the Senior Psychologist in the conceptual design and actual creation of newsletters, brochures, posters, web page content, and other materials to promote mental health care.
- Helps the Senior Psychologist to recruit, train, and supervise the Peer Counselors and design and implement the Peer Counseling services on campus.
- Assists the Senior Psychologist in the provision of referral resources.
- Assist the Senior Psychologist in the implementation of the programming of the Counseling Center in coordination with the Medical Center, the Dean of Students Office, the Advising Center, the Residence Life Office and other relevant units.
- Participates in the New Students Orientation Week.
- Provides leadership in the development of student initiatives, including advising student organizations, and fostering student learning and development by serving as a role model, mentor, student advocate and educator.
- Maintains the ethical standards of the counseling profession.
REQUIREMENTS AND DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- University degree in Psychological Counseling or a related field: a BA degree is required; an MA degree is preferred.
- Required: Intercultural competency and sensitivity to issues of gender, sexuality, and personal identity.
- Required: Commitment to continuous learning.
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills. Min. B2.2-level is required.
- Fluency in Bulgarian language is preferred.
- Some experience as a staff member in a clinical/counseling setting and/or experience working with college students is preferred.
- Interest in working with young adults and understanding of their developmental issues and mindset.
- Empathy and open-mindedness.
- An opportunity to work in a multinational and friendly environment at a leading educational organization
- Freedom to bring in your individual strengths and skills
- On-the-job training as well as support in obtaining a professional qualification
- Access to all employee benefits, a complete list of which is available here
If you are interested in the position of a (Junior) Psychologist/ Counselor and would like to work, learn and develop in one of the top academic institutions in the region, please submit a resume, a cover letter and a reference page at: [email protected]
The information you have provided will be used to process your application for employment. It will not be passed to third parties or used for other purposes. If you are successful, we will keep your application details. If you are not the chosen candidate, we will destroy your data within 6 months after this vacancy closes. Security procedures are in place for protecting your data in accordance with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your details may be stored electronically in a password-protected system and/or as paper copies in secure storage.