Student Travel Fund
For the Spring Semester 2021, the Student Services Advisory Committee
will meet on the following days:
- Tuesday, February 9, 2021
- Tuesday, March 16, 2021
All Travel Fund applications must be submitted electronically to email@example.com at least 48 hours before the deadline. For the Wednesday committee meetings, all applications must be submitted by the preceding Monday at 17:00. Any materials received after the deadline will be considered at the following meeting.
Travel Fund Policies
To promote travel that is intellectually rewarding to the students of the American University in Bulgaria and beneficial to the entire University community, a travel fund has been created for AUBG students. It is supervised by the Office of Student Services and administered by the Student Services Advisory Committee.
Grant recipients will be selected based on the recommendations of the Student Services Advisory Committee, which is composed of faculty, students and administrators, and chaired by the Dean of Students. Selection will be based on the relative merits of the purpose of travel, whether or not the application duplicates the efforts of another student or students, the appropriateness of the time of the conference (i.e. "will attendance mean missed classes?"), and other criteria as appropriate.
Those eligible to receive funding are full-time students who have earned at least 30 credit hours at AUBG and who are not in their final semester of study. There is one exception – graduating seniors who have their senior thesis or project accepted for presentation at a conference may apply for funding in their last semester. The primary purposes of travel should be attendance at conferences, meetings, workshops, or short courses (two months or less in duration) dealing with academic, student government, or regional peace topics, or participation in AUBG-approved student exchange programs.
Ordinarily, grants will cover international round-trip air travel between Sofia and the conference or meeting site, including such travel-related costs as transit visas and insurance. Regional or local conference grants will cover travel from Blagoevgrad (e.g. attendance at a conference in Varna).
All applicants, even if not sure, should submit an Application Form to the Office of Student Services at least two weeks prior to the anticipated date of travel. The form includes the following:
1. The academic standing of the applicant including G.P.A. Must have completed 30 credit hours at AUBG. Students with a G.P.A. of 3.00+ will be given preference.
2. List of relevant extracurricular activities.
3. Name of conference, meeting, workshop, etc., all official invitations and documents (with English translations), and a statement explaining why participation in the event would benefit the applicant and AUBG.
4. Details of travel. The applicant should present the most economical method of travel, based on time and money.
5. Whether the participation will duplicate the work of other students.
6. Whether or not the applicant has previously received funding in this academic year. Applicants who have already received a grant of $50 or less may be considered for a second grant in any academic year.
7. Team/group applications will be considered on the merits of the entire application, rather than as individuals. Group applications will only be accepted for events that require the presence of the entire team/group. (e.g. a theater production).