Privacy Notice for English Language Institute Students
Privacy Notice for English Language Institute Students
This privacy notice outlines how and why the American University in Bulgaria English Language Institute (ELI) collects, uses and stores your personal data, and your rights in relation to the personal data we hold. We may modify or amend this Privacy Notice. The most current version will always be available on our Website. If you have any questions, you can contact us at email@example.com.
What personal data do we collect?
The personal information we collect from you is the following:
• personal data including your name, date of birth and your gender, where appropriate;
• contact data including your home address, citizenship, email address and phone number;
• academic history including your high school GPA, where appropriate;
• name and contact information of your parents, where appropriate;
• name and contact information of emergency contacts, where appropriate;
• medical information about you, where appropriate;
• test scores.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect information about you when you register for a course with ELI, and you take an exam with us.
Note: * When we obtain personal data from third party sources, we will look to ensure that the third party has lawful authority to provide us with your personal data.
The basis for processing your information and how we use it
We process your personal data for the performance of a contract with you, based on your request to enroll in a language course at ELI – contractual obligation under Art. 6, 1, (b) of General Data Protection Regulation. In this respect, we use your personal data for the following:
• to provide our teaching and learning services to you;
• to administer language courses;
• to administer scholarship support, where applicable;
• to provide library, IT and information services;
• to administer a certified TOEFL, GRE, and SAT tests;
• to provide student support services (Disability and additional learning support, Careers and Advising Services, Student Medical Centre and psychologist services);
• to ensure students' safety and security;
• to manage student accommodation;
• to remind you of relevant deadlines;
• to remind you of outstanding payments that you owe;
• to deal with any concerns or feedback you may have.
We may also process your personal data in relation to compliance with our legal obligations. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
• financial audits;
• compliance with our regulatory and legal obligations;
• compliance with anti-money laundering laws and safeguarding requirements;
• prevention and detection of crime;
• criminal investigations - assist with investigations (including criminal investigations) carried out by the police and other competent authorities.
We may also process your personal data where:
• it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests; or
• we have your specific or, where necessary, explicit consent to do so
Control and care over your data
We, as an institution with one of the highest rankings in Bulgaria, are striving to improve and upgrade our control systems – to include pseudonymisation of the collected and processed data, access controls, defined within the university, and most importantly – applied due care by our staff and faculty members. All measures are implemented against inadvertent or deliberate manipulation, loss, or destruction, and access by unauthorized persons.
Who we share your data with
Your data may be shared with public authorities, such as Bulgarian Ministry of Education, National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation, Ministry of Foreign affairs (for visa purposes), external auditors, etc. as part of our legal obligations. In cases we need to transfer your personal data to other third parties - donors, internal auditors, insurance companies, etc., you will be notified, and asked for consent, if the data transfer process requires us to do so. In any case, we will share your personal data with high attention to the third parties’ level of technical and organizational ability to manage personal data as required by the GDPR standards.
As a certified testing center for TOEFL, GRE, and SAT, AUBG is sharing your exam registration data with ETS and College Board, respectively, for proper exam administration process. You can check their Privacy Policies for further details
How long we keep it
ELI certificates for language courses, as well as the register for these certificates, are retained for 50 years, according to local legislation for educational institutions. If you enroll at AUBG, information and personal data will be retained according to the legal requirements of the local authorities for maintaining your academic record (including archiving purposes). Personal data of ELI course participants (including contact data and data for parents/guardians) will be retained for 5 years.
Collection and use by third-party vendors
We do not sell data or data-bases to third parties for any reasons.
You rights in relation to the personal data we hold:
• to request an access to your personal data;
• to rectify or have your personal data erased, in certain cases;
• to restrict or object to processing your data;
• to request data transfer to other parties, in certain cases;
• to withdraw consent at any time, if based on consent, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before this withdrawal;
• to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority – Commission for Personal Data Protection, address - 2 Prof. Tsvetan Lazarov Blvd., Sofia 1592.
You may address your concerns or inquiries to our Data Protection Officer (DPO) – Margarita Petkova, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel +359 73 888 337.
Please visit AUBG Internal Rules for Data Protection for more information.