Privacy Notice for English Language Institute Students
Privacy Notice for English Language Institute Students
This privacy notice outlines how and why the American University in Bulgaria English Language Institute (ELI) collects, uses and stores your personal data, and your rights in relation to the personal data we hold. We may modify or amend this Privacy Notice. The most current version will always be available on our Website. If you have any questions about such matters you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What personal data do we collect?
The personal information we collect from you is the following:
- personal data including your name, date of birth and where appropriate, your gender;
- contact data including your home address, citizenship, email address and phone number;
- academic history including your high school GPA;
- contact information of your family members as part of emergency and other contact information.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect information about you when you register for a course with ELI.
Note: * When we obtain personal data from third party sources, we will look to ensure that the third party has lawful authority to provide us with your personal data.
The basis for processing your information and how we use it
Receiving and processing your personal data, as detailed above, for the application package/process is based on your consent and is exclusively used in the application and education cycle.
We may further process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract. In this respect, we use your personal data for the following:
- to provide our core teaching and learning services to you;
- to administer financial aid and scholarships, according to eligibility requirements;
- to provide library, IT and information services;
- to provide student support services (Disability and additional learning support, Careers and Advising Services, Student Medical Centre and psychologist services);
- to ensure students' safety and security;
- to manage student accommodation;
- to deal with any concerns or feedback you may have;
- to contact you to remind you of relevant deadlines;
- to contact you to remind you of outstanding payments that you owe;
- to process personal data for other purposes for which you provide it to us.
We may also process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of our tasks carried out in the public interest, as set out in our mission statement and values, which can be found at www.aubg.edu/mission-values or because it is necessary for our legitimate interests. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- to provide you with educational services not listed in the AUBG Student Handbook but which are part of our academic and educational mission;
- to monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the university, including training and/or monitoring our staff performance;
- to maintain and improve the academic, corporate, financial, estate and human resource; management of the university;
- to promote equality and diversity throughout the university;
- to promote our services (e.g. provide information about summer schools, student exchange programs, or other events happening on and off campus);
- to seek advice on our rights and obligations;
- to recover money you may owe to AUBG;
- to support our fundraising efforts.
We may also process your personal data in relation to compliance with our legal obligations. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- financial audits;
- compliance with our regulatory and legal obligations;
- compliance with anti-money laundering laws and safeguarding requirements;
- prevention and detection of crime;
- criminal investigations - assist with investigations (including criminal investigations) carried out by the police and other competent authorities.
We may also process your personal data where:
- it is necessary for medical purposes (e.g. medical diagnosis, provision of health or social care or treatment, or a contract with a health professional);
- it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests; or
- we have your specific or, where necessary, explicit consent to do so.
Control and care over your data
We, as an institution with one of the highest rankings in Bulgaria, are striving to improve and upgrade our control systems – to include pseudonymisation of the collected and processed data, access controls, defined within the university, and most importantly – applied due care by our staff and faculty members. All measures are implemented against inadvertent or deliberate manipulation, loss, or destruction, and access by unauthorized persons
Who we share your data with
Your data may be shared with public authorities, such as Bulgarian Ministry of Education, National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation, Ministry of Foreign affairs (for visa purposes), etc. as part of our legal obligations. In cases we need to transfer your personal data to other third parties - donors, US loan institutions, internal and external auditors, insurance companies, etc., you will be notified, and asked for consent, if the data transfer process requires us to do so. In any case, we will share your personal data with high attention to the third parties’ level of technical and organizational ability to manage personal data as required by the GDPR standards.
How long we keep it
Personal data is stored indefinitely for the purpose of issuing certificates and other evidence of your studies with ELI. If you enroll at AUBG, information and personal data will be retained according to the legal requirements of the local authorities for maintaining your academic record (including archiving purposes).
Collection and use by third-party vendors
We do not sell data or data-bases to third parties for any reasons.
You rights in relation to the personal data we hold:
- to request an access to your personal data we hold;
- to rectify or have your personal data erased, in which case all your certificates and other documents issued by us become void;
- to restrict or object to processing your data;
- to request data transfer to other parties;
- to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before this withdrawal;
- to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority – Commission for Personal Data Protection, address - 2 Prof. Tsvetan Lazarov Blvd., Sofia 1592.
You may address your concerns or inquiries to our Data Protection Officer (DPO) – Margarita Petkova, e-mail: email@example.com; tel +359 73 888 337.
Please visit AUBG Internal Rules for Data Protection for more information.