Privacy Notice for Conference Participants
Privacy Notice for Conference Participants
This privacy notice outlines how and why the American University in Bulgaria (AUBG) collects, uses and stores your personal data, and your rights in relation to the personal data we hold. We may modify or amend this Privacy Notice. The most current version will always be available on our Website and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. If you have any questions about such matters you can contact us at email@example.com.
What personal data do we collect?
The personal information we collect from you is the following:
- personal data including your name, date of birth and gender;
- personal data as on passport (№ of passport, date of issue, expiry date, date and place of birth);
- contact data including your home/school address, citizenship, email address and phone number;
- medical information about you, where appropriate;
- information about your family as part of the application process;
- education, and work/volunteer experience (CV and resume for summer camp counselors);
- recommendations from third parties (for summer camp counselors);
- profile data including your specific requests, preferences, feedback, survey responses;
- other information you share during an application interview.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect information about you when you:
- request information to be sent to you;
- request assistance with initiating visa application process;
- register for an event - conference, seminar, workshop or summer camp;
- visit our campus;
- participate in AUBG-initiated events and programs and events at AUBG;
- request additional conference services such as transportation, accommodation and dining interact with any AUBG page or account on a social media platform, or when you use your social media account or credentials to log in to the Website;
- provide your personal information to other parties such as official organizational representatives, consultants and others*.
Note: * When we obtain personal data from third party sources, we will look to ensure that the third party has lawful authority to provide us with your personal data.
The basis for processing your information and how we use it
The lawful base for data processing is a contractual obligation, or steps on your part to enter into a contract with AUBG – based on your request to participate in an event organized by AUBG. In this respect, we use your personal data for the following:
- to provide our conference services to you, as indicated on AUBG Conferences and Events website: www.aubg.edu/conferences-and-institutes-services; to administer financial documents, statements and receipts; to provide IT, information and other conference related services;
- to ensure participants' safety and security; to manage participants` accommodation; to deal with any concerns or feedback you may have.
We may also process your personal data because it is necessary for our legitimate interests. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- to monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the university, including training and/or monitoring our staff performance;
- to maintain and improve the academic, corporate, financial, estate and human resource;
- management of the university;
- to promote equality and diversity throughout the university;
- to promote our services (e.g. provide information about summer schools, student exchange programs, or other events happening on and off campus);
- to seek advice on our rights and obligations;
- to recover money you may owe to AUBG;
- to support our fundraising and recruitment efforts.
We may also process your personal data in relation to compliance with our legal obligations. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- financial audits;
- compliance with anti-money laundering laws and safeguarding requirements;
- prevention and detection of crime;
- criminal investigations - assist with investigations (including criminal investigations) carried out by the police and other competent authorities.
We may also process your personal data where:
- it is necessary for medical purposes (e.g. medical diagnosis, provision of health or social care or treatment, or a contact with a health professional);
- it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests;
- or we have your specific or, where necessary, explicit consent to do so.
Control and care over your data
We, as an institution with one of the highest rankings in Bulgaria, are striving to improve and upgrade our control systems – to include pseudonymisation of the collected and processed data, access controls, defined within the university, and most importantly – applied due care by our staff and faculty members. All measures are implemented against inadvertent or deliberate manipulation, loss, or destruction, and access by unauthorized persons
Whom we share your data with
Your data may be shared with public authorities, such as Bulgarian Ministry of Education, National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation, Ministry of Foreign affairs (for visa purposes), external auditors, etc. as part of our legal obligations. In cases we need to transfer your personal data to other third parties - internal auditors, insurance companies, transport providers, software providers, etc. you will be notified, and asked for consent, if the data transfer process requires us to do so. In any case, we will share your personal data with high attention to the third parties’ level of technical and organizational ability to manage personal data as required by the GDPR standards.
How long we keep it
Personal data collected through the application/registration process will be stored for a period of one year following the event. If you participate in an event, organized or hosted by AUBG, certain personal data will be retained according to the legal requirements of the local authorities, as part of your record.
Collection and use by third-party vendors
We do not sell data or data-bases to third parties for any reasons.
You rights in relation to the personal data we hold:
- to request an access to your personal data we hold;
- to request rectification or erasure of your personal data;
- to restrict or object to processing concerning your data;
- to request data transfer to other parties, in certain cases;
- to withdraw consent at any time, if based on consent, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before this withdrawal;
- to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority – Commission for Personal Data Protection, address - 2 Prof. Tsvetan Lazarov Blvd., Sofia 1592.
You may address your concerns or inquiries to our Data Protection Officer (DPO) – Margarita Petkova, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel +359 73 888 337.
Please visit AUBG Internal Rules for Data Protection for more information.