Mathematics and Science Department
_Veselin Filev is one of the newest professors working at AUBG. Interested in Mathematics since he was in the kindergarten, he found his passion for Physics in middle school. Professor Filev obtained his PhD from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles and is currently a researcher and quantitative analyst. Read our interview with him to learn more about his impressive educational background and research career. _Read more
_Deyan Slanchev (’15), BA alumnus and current AUBG EMBA student, has just been selected as one of the top 20 software specialists in Bulgaria by DevStyleR [https://devstyler.io/], a leading tech media outlet in the country. Deyan, who studied Business Administration and Computer Science at AUBG and is now in his fourth semester of studies at the university’s Executive MBA, works as Delivery Lead at Saorsa Ltd [https://www.saorsa.bg/]. _ _We are repu…Read more
Every year, during the annual Honors Convocation, in addition to recognizing its top students, AUBG gives two faculty awards: the Cosmina Tanasoiu Excellence in Teaching Award and the Faculty Research Award. And even though COVID-19 obstructed this year's plans to hold the traditional academic ceremony, the university still awarded two top professors for their contribution to the academic life at AUBG.Read more
Graduating senior Phuc Tran has just been accepted to a PhD in Mathematics at Yale University. A Mathematics major at AUBG, Tran will focus on studying Additive Combinatorics, Probability, and Extremal Combinatorics at the Ivy League school.Read more
Discover the beauty, symmetry and logic of Nature and its laws
If you have an inquisitive mind and like to find out how things work or to solve puzzles, then you may have “the right stuff” to become a mathematician. The study of mathematics will make you a smarter, more logical person, it will add unexpected beauty and the joy of discovery to your life, and it will open the door to further study of advanced subjects.
Mathematics is the language used to describe the very fabric of life, the laws of Nature, and is a powerful tool to help you understand economics, probability, statistics and business. It helps you make better decisions too and understand risk.
AUBG Mathematics graduates have gone on to pursue advanced research, to win prizes and to further their studies at prestigious institutes. Our faculty members are diverse and fascinated by the natural world and its laws. They challenge and inspire you to discover both the fundamental branches of modern and classical theory, and their application in advanced topics.
The Department of Mathematics and Science offers a major and minor in Mathematics, as well as courses in Math and Science supporting the general education requirements at the University.
The Mathematics minor provides students with an essential background in some important branches of classical mathematics, statistics, and their applications.
Did you know that:
- Several of our students have done in the past or are doing now mathematical research, leading to original results – in number theory, algebra, geometry, topology and braid groups. This is not a small achievement, considering the complexity of the field.
- 2006 graduate Vesna Stojanoska and AUBG Science Professor Orlin Stoychev won the 2009 Allendoerfer Award of the Mathematical Association of America for best expository article in Mathematics Magazine.
- Two AUBG students, under the leadership of Mathematics Professor Hristo Iliev, won silver medals at the South Eastern European Mathematical Olympiad for University Students (SEEMOUS) in spring 2011.
- A large number of students majoring in mathematics continue their education in some of the most prestigious graduate programs in the world.
- AUBG students and professors organize initiatives to raise awareness of environmental degradation.