Journalism and mass communication department
_Hristina Tsonkova, who is a multiple time poetry reciting champion, a passionate aero yoga practitioner and a high-school theatre actor, has recently become part of the AUBG community. The first-year student plans to major in Economics and Journalism & Mass Communication and has already joined two student clubs - the Business Club and the Better Community Club. Hristina says that her participation in a number of competitions -- such as “Bulgaria…Read more
_First-year AUBG student Diana Materova has participated in a number of competitions . She describes herself as "a person of extremes," and combines her interest in disciplines Literature, Geography, History and Math. Diana has a desire to major in Political Science & International Relations and Business Administration, or JMC. Her experience being part of AUBG Multitalent Quest and "Az-moga" has helped her boost her confidence…Read more
_Kiril Kirkov, who will start teaching Visual Communication and Digital Photojournalism at AUBG in a couple of weeks, recently obtained his M.A. from the Northern Arizona University in the U.S. The new faculty member, who describes himself as “an art lover” who follows an “extreme version of cultural relativism,” is a photographer, a creator of short-films and an experienced choreographer and Bulgarian folklore dancer. Read our interview with professo…Read more
_Every year, the Tchaprachikoff Scholarship Fund [https://www.aubg.edu/scholarships-for-alumni] at AUBG supports Bulgarian graduates with scholarships to pursue a Master’s degree at a top U.S. school. One such alumna is Anna Dimitrova__ (‘__19), Business Administration and Journalism and Mass Communication major at AUBG, who will study at the prestigious Simon Business School - University of Rochester. We talked to her to hear more about what helped h…Read more
Thrive and prosper in a fast-paced, hyper-connected world.
Agile. Fluid. Always-on. Cross-platform. Transmedia. Mulitmedia. Social Media. There has been a revolution in journalism and communication over the past decade, and the only certainty in this fast-paced world is that things will continue to change. That’s why our primary focus is to challenge our students to think on their feet. To hone their craft. To practice, write and rewrite, design and deliver messages that speak to their intended audiences and reach them via the most suitable platform.
JMC students learn how to relate to other people, how to ask questions and tell stories. They also learn how to understand and apply ethical principles in design, photography, videography and digital editing. Expect to contribute to democracy via the art of persuasion and representation, and to practice your skills in real-life settings. At AUBG we have a wide variety of student media, including the De Facto newspaper, AUBG DAILY online news publication and several student magazines. We also have a student-run radio station, and opportunities to create TV programs as well as direct, produce, shoot and edit documentaries.
Our documentary club hosts weekly film screenings and talks by film professionals, and students take trips to film festivals, competitions and workshops. Placement in media organizations is a crucial part of the JMC major, and we help students find the ideal internship whether in Bulgaria or abroad. Being connected to journalists around the world is possible through our AUBG Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) club, the first student-run SPJ chapter in Eastern Europe.
A major track in Journalism & Mass Communication is available, as well as a minor in the department.
Did you know that:
- AUBG students practice journalism in a variety of student media: Defacto (online and print), AUBG Daily (online), Verve magazine (print), Radio AURA, AUBG TV, Defacto TV, and the academic journal Thoth (online).
- AUBG students organized the University’s first ever short film festival in November 2011, screening shorts by both established and aspiring filmmakers. A special guest at AUBG Film Fest was Scott Hillier, cinematographer and director of photography of the Academy Award-winning short documentary Twin Towers. (photo JMC2, JMC2a)
- AUBG’s Documentary Club hosts weekly film screenings and talks by professionals in the film production industry.
- The Department supports trips to film festivals, competitions, and journalism simulations.
- The annual student-organized party JMC Rocks celebrates the Department’s achievements over the academic year.
- The Departments sponsors practical workshops and lectures with professionals from the media world.
- Award-winning journalists have coached JMC students.
- The Department helps students get internship placements in media organizations around the world.
- The Department hosts annual exhibitions of student work.