Erasmus+ Opportunities - Incoming Students
The American University in Bulgaria offers exchange opportunities for students at European universities exclusively through the Erasmus Plus Program. Please see below relevant information about how you can spend a semester or a year at AUBG through Erasmus:
The academic catalog is prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time of publication. It includes the description of each course, academic policies and procedures and other important information for your semester at AUBG.
You may find all versions of the catalog at: www.aubg.edu/academic-catalog.
Housing is provided for all incoming Erasmus students at the Skaptopara Residence Hall campus. A place in the dorms will be automatically booked for you after you submit your Online Application Form for Incoming Erasmus Students. For further questions please contact the Residence Life and Housing office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information is available on AUBG web page at: www.aubg.edu/students-residential-life. You also may visit the following link: www.aubg.edu/first-year-students to help in your transition from home to community living.
AUBG is a selective residential institution and all undergraduate students are required to live on campus as part of the University mission.
Note: The check-in in the Residence Halls is on 28-Aug-2018, from 8.00 a.m. to 6 p.m.
No accommodation is available before this date.
1. Email notification from your home university.
We need to receive an official email from your home university that you have been nominated. The email has to be sent to email@example.com and should include the following information:
- Your full names (first and last);
- Study programme at your home institution;
- Planned study period at AUBG;
- Valid e-mail address.
2. Application form
In order to apply please follow these steps:
- Navigate to https://community.aubg.bg/exchange-students-online-app.
- Please read Online Application Form Instructions on how to complete the form.
Deadline for submitting the application is June 1, 2018.
Please have in mind that the following documents should be attached in your application form:
2.1. Language Proficiency Requirements
Please remember that the official language at AUBG is English, so all the lectures and exams are held in English: Minimum requirements for proficiency in English apply to all incoming Erasmus students who are not native speakers of English or are coming from a university where the official language is not English. To fulfill the requirements you must submit a Level B2 English language certificate.
2.2. Learning Agreement
Fill in the Learning Agreement (LA) form with the courses you want to study at AUBG. Collect the required signatures on the form and stamp it at your home university.
AUBG course schedule and additional course information for Fall 2018 is expected to be available in the middle of April 2018. It will be communicated with you via email.
The schedule will also be posted at the University web site as a MS Excel file.
Please note that 1 AUBG credit = 2 ECTS credits.
2.3. Transcript of records (including all semesters before the mobility)
3. Health Certificate
Click here to download the Health Certificate Form.
Fill in the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than August 1, 2018.
Information about the health services available at the American University in Bulgaria will be sent to each student later by e-mail.
Students, EU citizens could use the European Health Insurance Card which gives free access to the emergency services only.
Note: An official acceptance letter confirming your Erasmus exchange at AUBG will be sent to you in the middle of June.
Arrival and Transportation
1. If you are traveling by plane
The airplane lands at Sofia Airport, which is around 100 km from Blagoevgrad. You can easily get from Sofia to Blagoevgrad by bus. The buses for Blagoevgrad leave from the Central Bus Station/ Central Railway Station. From Sofia Airport you can get to the Central Bus Station by public transportation. The price of a single ticket in Sofia public transportation is 1.60 BG leva. We do not recommend you using a taxi from the Sofia Airport (they are very expensive and there is a risk of cheating).
- By Subway:
- From Terminal 2 take the metro line 1 to “Serdika” stop (the red line) –Click here for the trains’ schedule.
- From Terminal 1 - Sofia Airport provides free-of-charge transportation services between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 at every 30 minutes between 07:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (it can be requested at the Information Desk or at telephone: (+359 2) 937 22 11/12/13). The stop locations of the shuttle bus in front of both terminals are designated by signage and pavement markings.
- From "Serdika" stop to the Central Bus Station/Central Railway Station take metro line 2 (the blue line).
- By Bus:
- From Terminal 1 take the bus 84 to hotel “Pliska” stop.
- From Terminal 2 take the bus 384 or 84 to hotel “Pliska” stop.
- From hotel "Pliska" stop to the Central Bus Station / Central Railway Station take one of the following buses: 213, 214, 305, 313.
The Central Bus Station has different sectors for the different destinations. Busses for Blagoevgrad leave from sector 26 around every exact hour. You may see the timetable at: http://www.centralnaavtogara.bg/ (in Bulgarian the name of our town is Благоевград). The price of a single one-way ticket is 11 BG leva ( 1 Euro = 1.95583 BG leva).
Tickets can be bought from the respective counters located in the bus station hall or directly from the bus driver.
The trip from Sofia to Blagoevgrad takes around 2 hours by bus. In Blagoevgrad, the bus will stop at the Bus Station in Blagoevgrad. From the bus station you can take a taxi to the AUBG Campus, the price will be around 1 Euro – 2 BG leva (for the entire ride. Please tell or show the driver the following address:
ОБЩЕЖИТИЯ АУБ, УЛ. СВОБОДА БЪЧВАРОВА
Another option is to send you a taxi to pick you up from the airport. It will cost around 40 Euro. If you would like to request a taxi for you, please send an email to the AUBG Transportation Office to email@example.com. In the e-mail please, indicate the details of your flight – flight number, exact arrival date and time. As soon as they receive your request they will check if there is another student arriving at the same time, so that you can share the taxi and of course the charge for it. This is the easiest and the most comfortable way to arrive in Blagoevgrad.
2. If you are going to travel by bus or train to Sofia:
Central Bus Station, “Serdika” Bus Station and the Central Railway Station are located in the same area very close to each other. International busses arrive at the Central Bus Station or at the “Serdika” Bus Station, which is quite close, located on the Traffic Market square right in front of the Central Rail Station. If your bus arrives at the Central Bus Station, from there you can directly catch the bus for Blagoevgrad. Follow the instructions described above. If your bus arrives at the “Serdika” Bus Station, or you were traveling by train first you have to walk to the Central Bus Station from where to catch the bus for Blagoevgrad. Follow the instructions described above.
AUBG course schedule and additional course information for Fall semester 2018 is expected to be available in the middle of April 2018. It will be communicated with you via email.
The schedule will also be posted here.
Please note that 1 AUBG credit = 2 ECTS credits.
Erasmus+ Fact Sheets
|Full legal Name of Institution||American University in Bulgaria|
|ERASMUS code of Institution||BG BLAGOEV03|
|No of ERASMUS CHARTER||211054-EPP-1-2014-1-BG-EPPKA3-ECHE|
|President||Dr. Steven Sullivan|
|ERASMUS Coordinator||Lydia Krise, Dean of Students|
|ERASMUS contact person||Mariya Handzhiyska|
|Outgoing and Incoming Students||Mariya Handzhiyska|
|ECTS coordinator||Evelina Terzieva|
|Where should we send the applications
(each faculty or to the International Office)?
Please, indicate the address.
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY IN BULGARIA
12 Svoboda Bachvarova Street
|Telephone (including country and area codes)||+359 73 888520
+359 73 888531
|Fax (including country and area codes)||+359 73 888 169|
Useful Web Pages
|WWW Internet Address||www.aubg.edu|
|Homepage of the Erasmus program|
|Homepage of the Course Catalogue||www.aubg.edu/academic-catalog|
Academic Year 2018 / 2019 (August 31, 2017 – May 11, 2018)
|August 29, 2018 – September 4, 2018
Fall Semester: September 5, 2018 – December 19, 2018
|January 16, 2019 – January 20, 2019
Spring Semester: January 21, 2019 – May 10, 2019
|Deadlines for submitting applications to AUBG||Fall Semester: June 1, 2018
Spring Semester: November 1, 2017
|Language of lectures||English|
|Will language courses be
offered to incoming students?
If yes, when?
|Yes - 6 ECTS credits.
Twice per week.
|Will an Orientation
Week be held?
If yes, when?
One week before the semester starts
- technical faculties
- other faculties
Skaptopara Residence Halls
access to Internet in each room
|Any additional useful information||All students must complete and submit a health form to the AUBG Health Center before enrolling.|
|AUBG Resident Assistants||AUBG students help incoming students after their arrival in Blagoevgrad.|
Fees and payment deadline
The following fees apply for you for the Fall 2018 semester:
|Housing fee(place in a double room)||$705|
|Student Activity Fee (covers co-curricular activities)||$290|
|Dining Services Deposit||$150|
Each student will receive $300 credit on their student cards for meals, which can be used in our Dining Services Facilities.
The student activity fee is NOT a tuition fee and it covers co-curricular activities, students wellness programs, residential events and activities, orientation events and activities; use of indoor and outdoor sport facilities; students clubs, special events, and recreation and athletic activities etc.
All fees must be paid before August 10, 2018 (please have in mind that you should pay the bank transfer fee too, so AUBG should receive the net amount of $1145 per one semester), below is the bank account information:
Wire transfers should go to:
Name of the Bank: Raiffeisenbank EAD, Branch Blagoevgrad
T. Aleksandrov str. 47, 2700 Blagoevgrad
Account Name: American University in Bulgaria
Account Number: BG49 RZBB 9155 1187 0037 10
BIC /SWIFT/ N: RZBBBGSF
Beneficiary: American University in Bulgaria Beneficiary's address: Blagoevgrad, 1 G. Izmirliev Sq.
Remittance Information: Your name, your student ID number
A full list of payment options is available at: www.aubg.edu/payments
Additional fees and charges
Food costs per semester are estimated at $600. Each student pays dining services deposit of $150 will receive $300 per semester for food that may be spent in the AUBG restaurant and cafes.
Textbook costs per semester are estimated at approximately $200. Textbooks can be purchased or taken on leasing (only part of the textbooks) from the AUBG bookstore in our campus.
Check the Academic Calendar for Fall 2018 here.
Students coming from non EU countries need visas, so please read very carefully the following explanations:
1. Document proving that you will be able to cover your living expenses in Bulgaria – valid bank account on your name with 450 EUROS (if you come for one semester).
2. If you are 18 or over you will need a Police clearance report issued in your home country, certifying that you have never been convicted.
3. Send a copy of the front page of your international passport to the Еrasmus office at: Erasmus@aubg.edu
4. The page should include your full name written in the Latin alphabet and your date and place of birth. IMPORTANT: Expiration date of the passport must be at least a year and a half after the date of applying for a visa.Please send me the scanned copy of your passports at your earliest convenience
5. When we receive this document, we will issue an enrollment certificate with which you will apply for a student visa. We will issue one more Certificate stating that you are participating in the Erasmus program at AUBG. We will send the certificates to you by express mail. Please give your exact mailing address, including phone number and ZIP code. Note that the mailing expenses will be charged to your student bill at AUBG.
6. When you receive the certificates, take them and the other documents required for a long-term visa to the Bulgarian embassy in your country (or in a neighboring country if your country has no Bulgarian embassy or consulate) for your visa to be issued.
7. Health Insurance – Please have in mind that all non EU students in Bulgaria should have health insurance, which is arranged by the AUBG Health Center and it costs around 35 USD per semester – Each of you should pay it after you come to AUBG. The Bulgarian Embassy in which you apply in order to issue you a Bulgarian visa will ask you for health insurance prepaid in your home country. But there is no need for you to make and pay for this insurance in your home country, because I will send you an official Certificate from AUBG Health Center, proving that you will have a medical insurance upon arrival.
8. When the visa is ready, go to the Bulgarian embassy to get it. Make sure you carry your passport with you. Please CHECK carefully the DURATION OF YOUR VISA – it should cover your entire stay in Bulgaria. If you are coming for one semester the duration should be 180 days.
9. You may travel to Bulgaria after the visa (student visa -type D) is entered in your passport.