The American University in Bulgaria is seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated professional to support the university in developing and executing its fundraising strategy in the United States as the United States Special Advisor for Advancement (USSAA). The USSAA reports to the Vice President for Advancement and collaborates broadly with the AUBG administration, Board of Trustees, alumni, and other university constituents to gather support for and raise the profile of AUBG in this increasingly critical market.
The USSAA will be primarily responsible for fundraising activities in the United States, initiating, cultivating, and maintaining donor, foundation, and government relationships and supporting alumni and donor activities there throughout the year. Working with the Advancement and other teams in Bulgaria, the USSAA will assist in creating and supporting events that promote AUBG in the United States. The USSAA will serve as the first point of contact for U.S.-based AUBG alumni, ensuring that they feel included in the AUBG family and are apprised of the university’s activities.
The USSAA will serve as a “door-opener” for the President, the Vice President for Advancement, and members of the AUBG Board of Trustees to work with potential donors on major gifts, and will regularly work with members of U.S. government agencies such as USAID and ASHA to identify and pursue grant opportunities.
The incumbent will preferably be located in the Boston-New York-Washington, DC corridor, but will also travel to other locations in the United States as needed, as well as to Bulgaria at least twice annually.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Deep commitment to the mission of AUBG and thorough understanding of its position as a leading institution in Bulgaria and an excellent destination for American students and philanthropic support
- Impeccable integrity
- A record of success in a public-facing position in sales, customer service, public relations, or other position that requires skills in relationship-building and maintenance
- Genuine enthusiasm for and ability to cultivate individual, corporate, and foundation donors
- A proactive approach to identifying and pursuing a broad range of potential supporters
- A commitment to donor stewardship
- Ability to collaborate effectively with multiple constituencies in planning and execution of programs and events and to develop U.S.-specific fundraising strategies
To support success, the USSAA must:
- Be eligible to work in the United States
- Have excellent communication and presentation skills, including public speaking and the ability to use modern tools such as Zoom and other forms of virtual communication, as well as strong writing for various business purposes
- Demonstrate a highly professional appearance and demeanor
- Have ready access to a commercial airport and travel regularly in the United States and occasionally elsewhere
The USSAA will have a travel budget, including mileage, public transportation and airfare, support for meals and entertainment, and funding for communication tools including a mobile phone, laptop, printer, and internet connection for a home office. Salary is competitive, and bonus opportunities will be available for meeting and exceeding fundraising goals in accordance with CASE policies on Supplemental Compensation (CASE Statements on Compensation for Fundraising Performance | CASE).
If you are interested in the position, please submit inquiries and application documents (letter of interest, resume, and list of at least five professional references with contact information) to [email protected]. References will not be contacted without the permission of the candidate.
The information you have provided will be used to process your application for employment. It will not be passed to third parties or used for other purposes. If you are successful, we will keep your application details. If you are not the chosen candidate, we will destroy your data 30 days after this vacancy closes. Security procedures are in place for protecting your data in accordance with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Your details may be stored electronically in a password-protected system and/or as paper copies in secure storage.