Arts, Languages, and Literature Department
You may also like
Sean Homer, Professor of Film and Literature at AUBG, presented his research on Romanian New Wave cinema, part of a book he's writing on History, Cultural Trauma and Narrative in Balkan Cinema.Read more
Three of the seven Bulgarian recipients of the 2016 Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) scholarship are AUBG graduates. Marie Fessel, the German Academic Exchange Service representative for DAAD, on Sept. 26 presented opportunities offered by DAAD at AUBG at the invitation of Diana Stantc…Read more
Delight and Instruct: Sharpen your skills and feed your soul with the ALL department
The Department of Arts, Languages, and Literature encourages students to expand their horizons and experience the world’s greatest cultural and artistic works while pursuing a university degree. From Louis Armstrong to Michelangelo to Shakespeare to Goethe, Cervantes, Molière, and Botev, you will be exposed to the finest achievements of humanity’s creative geniuses.
ALL faculty will help you master marketable skills in writing, languages, performance, and innovation while exposing you to the very best of humanity’s artistic achievements. Develop necessary skills in writing, critical thinking, and argumentation while studying a dizzying array of literary and cinematic works. Tap into your artistic side with applied fine arts courses in music, art, and theatre and creative writing courses in poetry and fiction. Achieve language proficiency and develop cross-cultural understanding through courses in German, French, Spanish and Bulgarian language and culture.
There are over 60 courses to choose from, but the ALL department offers more than just coursework! ALL students can join AUBG’s award-winning choirs, tread the boards in theatrical productions, meet fellow bookworms in the Literary Society, and see their own poetry and fiction in print through ALL’s creative writing publication, The Fly.
We invite all AUBG students to take advantage of the breadth of experiences we offer, both through our general education courses and through our degree programs. ALL is home to the Literature major and minor, the Fine Arts minor, the minor in Modern Languages and Cultures, and the minor in Film Studies. So come learn with us and encounter most beautiful creations that the world has to offer!
Did you know that:
- AUBG has an internationally recognized choir.
- AUBG hosts the biannual International Festival “Meeting of Student Choirs.”
- The annual Spring Artfest includes exhibitions, musical recitals, dance and theater performances.
- The annual Language and Culture Week includes presentations, traditional songs, dances, and food from Bulgaria, Germany, Spain, and France.
- The female folklore ensemble Svetlina has performers from Bulgaria, Russia, the United States, and Kazakhstan.
- The Bulgarian Poets and Writers series hosts readings by noted writers.
- Students publish their creative writing in the annual magazine Fly in the Head.
- Students and professors regularly present their work at the AUBG Annual Research Conference.
- The Department hosts a number of student clubs including the Spanish club, the German club, the Club Francophone, and the Literary Society.
- More than 30 theater plays are staged annually.
- AUBG students stage a world-famous musical every year. Past productions include Chicago, West Side Story, Hairspray, Moulin Rouge, and Grease.