Registrar's FAQs

How do I register for classes? 

You can pre-register your courses at (available at AUBG campus only) or through the Students Portal. Course pre-registration normally begins on April 15 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring. Students are limited to no more than 17 credit hours of pre-registered courses during pre-registration period including waitlisted courses. Course registration information is available ten days before pre- registration begins. Note that you should check the course prerequisites first and make sure you are eligible to take the courses you wish. Students who are on Leave of absence or on Exchange should submit Returning student data sheet and inform Registrar’s Office for the courses they request to pre-register.                                                                                 

How is my registration time determined?

Each student has assigned a specific date/time for registration. Students may not register before the assigned registration time. The following registration procedure applies: Students are divided into registration groups according to their class standing- seniors second semester, seniors first semester, juniors second semester, juniors first semester and so on. In the above categories, students are further divided into 8 sub-groups, which rotate every semester- the first becomes last, the second becomes first, the third-second and so on. Sub-groups are formed on the basis of the enrollment confirmation date at the time of admission.

What do I need to do to add/drop/withdraw from class?

First week of semester is the so called add/drop week. During that time you can add or drop a course for any reason. First-year students require the approval of their advisor for registration. You cannot drop the course after the add/drop week ends. Only in exceptional circumstances a student may be allowed by the Dean of Faculty to add/drop course during the second week of classes, which is a subject of a late fee. Prior to the conclusion of the seventh week of classes and following add/drop week courses may be dropped at the request of the student with a grade of “W”.  It will count in neither the credit hours earned nor in the calculation of the GPA, but only in hours attempted.  No changes can be made after the seventh week of classes.

I need a specific class this semester, but section is full. What can I do?

You cannot register for a closed course. Registration is closed for a course that has reached its seating capacity. Some courses are offered more than one section. If it is open and fits your schedule, you may register for it. Another option is to be placed on the waitlist; however, being on the waitlist does not guarantee your entry into the class. If someone drops the course and a place is available, you will be informed with the time you have to register when it is your turn. Waiting lists are valid until Thursday noon of the add-drop week. Full-class permissions may be given only with the consent of the Professors. A permission slip with a code is provided by the professor that will let you register above the capacity of the class. Full-class permissions are registered on Thursday and Friday, after the waiting list is terminated.

How do I change my class to pass-fail?

First, you should consult the Academic Catalog to determine eligibility and restrictions on the pass/fail option. Only one course per semester is allowed on P/F basis and no more than 3 courses on P/F are allowed during your career at AUBG. You cannot change the basis for grade after the add/drop week. “Pass” grades will not be used in computing GPA but will be counted toward degree credit. A failing grade of “U” will be figured in the student’s cumulative GPA.

What does it mean to audit a course?

Auditing a course means that you are required only to attend lectures. It allows you to take a class without the benefit of a grade or credit. To audit a course you must obtain a permission by the professor to enroll in the class on audit basis. The course will be noted on your transcript with a grade of AU. Students who audit a course are required to pay fees as though the course was being taken on a credit basis.

What is overload?

Students who wish to register for more than 17 credits must obtain Course Overload Request Form. The restrictions on the Course Overload registration are described in the request form. First-year students and students on probation may not take overloads. No student may enroll in more than 22 credits in one semester.  Each additional credit is a subject of overload fee. Overload request forms are available at Registrar’s office.

I need to repeat a course? What should I do?

The following policy applies for all courses that may not be repeated for additional credits. “Students may repeat no more than 3 courses during their career at AUBG, each of them only once, regardless of the grade received. The new grade will be used in all GPA computations for the first three courses that the student repeats.” Students who fail or withdraw from course may register to repeat it during the pre-registration time or add-drop week. If you wish to repeat a course to improve a passing grade, you will be permitted to do so after the third day of the add-drop week. The repeated course counts once toward earned hours and twice toward hours attempted.

How should I declare my major?

First, you need to get a Major declaration form (available in Registrar’s Office) and meet with the Department Chair of the department whose major you want to declare. Obtain his/her signature and then submit the form to the Registrar’s Office. You are allowed to choose a major by catalog year according to the year major requirements were updated. You should specify your major to be valued either by the catalog year of your acceptance or by any catalog years after that date. Students must complete all the requirements of at least one major, with a GPA in the major of at least 2.50. Not declaring your major by the end of your fifth semester may result in ineligibility for graduation and your Degree Audit Report will not be updated according to the major requirements.

I need to add/drop/change my major/minor. How can I do it?

A student who decides to double- major should be in good standing. Procedure for adding a major is the same as declaring one. To change a major/minor you must submit the appropriate form to the Registrar’s Office. You may change majors and minors at any point after declaration. A single student’s academic record may contain no more than 2 majors and no more than 2 minors.

Can I count a course towards two different majors?

Double-majoring students may take no more than 3 courses to satisfy both sets of required courses by major. If you have more than 3 common courses required, one additional course in either major should be taken to replace each additional common course. Students taking 2 minors or a major and minor may double-count at most two courses towards satisfying the requirements of both programs. Your Degree Audit report identifies the courses to be counted for Major and Minor or for Major and Major.

Can I count a course towards the General Education requirements and also toward my major and minor?

Yes, you can. A course used to satisfy a Gen Ed requirement can also be counted toward requirements for a major or minor.

How is my class standing determined?

Your academic level is based on credit totals. See below the credit table:

Academic Level Credit Count
Senior 87 credits and above
Junior 57 - 86 credits
Sophomore 27 - 56 credits
Freshmen 0 - 26 credits
How do I found out my GPA and my Major GPA?

Grade Point Average is not average of grades received. Your GPA is calculated by dividing total quality points by GPA hours. Quality points for each course equal the number of credit hours earned multiplied by the numerical amount of the letter grade. GPA in Major is calculated the same way but taken only courses required for completion of the major. Students should earn Major GPA of at least 2.50 and Cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 in order to graduate. Check your Degree Audit Report for details.

My class standing/major/minor is wrong. Who can correct it?

You should inform Registrar’s Office members. They will make sure all your credits have been posted and calculated correctly. You will be informed if something needs to be done.

I have more than two final exams scheduled for the same day. Can I change that?

According to the AUBG policy “students who are scheduled for more than two final examinations in one day may have an examination rescheduled with the consent of one of the instructors.” It is student’s responsibility to arrange his/her final examination date and time with the instructor. Students should make the necessary arrangements with the professor at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the finals week.

What is a leave of absence? How do I request it?

A leave of absence permits a student to re-enter the University after a semester or more away from the institution. Applications for Leave of absence are available from the Registrar’s Office. Completed applications establishing that the student has cleared all financial and other obligations to the University are due not later than April 15 for a Leave for the Fall semester and November 15 for a Leave for the Spring. Students intending to be on Leave of absence should not pre-register for courses that meet during the leave. Existing pre-registrations will be cancelled when a student files a leave of absence request. Applications received after the deadline or approved requests revoked after the deadline will be subject to a late fee. 

How do I get my final grades?

 All students are expected to evaluate the courses taken during the semester. If you have completed Students evaluation of teaching you will be able to check your grades once they become available. Grades may be checked at or at Students Portal.

What is good standing?

Good standing requires that a student meets minimum academic requirements: GPA of 2.00 and CGPA of 2.00. Furthermore, students must have successfully completed the mandatory core courses (ENG 101, ENG 102, and STA 105) by the end of their first year to be in good standing.

 What happens if my GPA is below 2.00?

A student is placed on Academic Warning when his or her term GPA falls between 1.70 and 2.00, but the cumulative GPA is still above 2.00. An academic warning can occur only once during the student's academic career. Students placed on academic warning must regain good standing in the next semester. A student is placed on probation when his or her academic performance is unsatisfactory and has a term GPA below 1.70 but a cumulative GPA above 2.00. Each student on probation for the first time is required to take AUB 106.A student is also placed on probation when he or she returns from academic suspension. A student risks being suspended or dismissed any time when not in good standing.

Final decision on student’s academic standing is to be taken by the Academic Standing Committee. Detailed information may be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.

 I am going to study abroad (go on exchange) for a semester. What should I do?

Courses you plan to take at the other university should be approved by Dean of Faculty and Department Chair(s).You should submit a Prior Approval for Off-campus Study form to Registrar’s Office. Prior Approval assures credit for work taken at another university if a satisfactory grade is earned. The number of credits accepted for transfer cannot exceed 17 per semester. Your credits taken at the other institution will be transferred but not the grades. Earned transfer credits count toward attempted hours but don’t affect your GPA. Transfer credits reduce the student’s eligibility for AUBG financial aid to the minimum number of semesters required for graduation.

 I just graduated. When and how do I get my diploma?

On the date of the Commencement you are receiving your American Diploma. If you successfully pass Bulgarian State Exam(s) or defend a Diploma Thesis Work you are eligible to receive Bulgarian Diploma and European Diploma Supplement. They are issued no earlier than 3 months after the date of the state exam. You may receive your Diploma in person from the Registrar’s Office or authorize someone to pick it up for you. Another option is to request your Diploma to be mailed to address on your expense by filling in the Diploma Release form available in Registrar’s Office.

We are Social