Privacy Notice for Prospective Students
This privacy notice outlines how and why the American University in Bulgaria (AUBG) collects, uses and stores your personal data, and your rights in relation to the personal data we hold. We may modify or amend this Privacy Notice. The most current version will always be available on our Website and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. If you have any questions about such matters you can contact us at email@example.com.
What personal data do we collect?
The personal information we collect from you is the following:
- personal data including your name, date of birth and gender;
- contact data including your home address, citizenship, email address and phone number;
- profile data including your specific requests, preferences, feedback, survey responses and usernames on social media channels;
- usage data including your IP address, browser and technology, how you use our website, social media and services;
- academic history including your high school, your GPA, your activities and achievements in and outside of school, contact information of people recommending you, etc.;
- marketing data including your preferences in receiving marketing messages and materials from us;
- information about your family as part of the application process;
- In case you are applying for financial support, we will require information about your family’s financial situation. Please refer to the link for the specific information in the application for financial assistance - https://www.aubg.edu/documents/1989.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect information about you when you:
- request information to be sent to you;
- attend or register for an event, an educational fair or high school visit;
- visit our campus;
- participate in an AUBG Competition;
- apply for admission to AUBG on our portal;
- submit your test scores to us as part of the application process;
- enter a competition, promotion or agree to participate in market research (such as surveys or questionnaires);
- interact with any AUBG page or account on a social media platform, or when you use your social media account or credentials to log in to the Website;
- provide your personal information to other parties such as Common application form, College Board, ETS, CIS (Council of International schools), official University representatives, educational consultants and others*.
Note:* When we obtain personal data from third party sources, we will look to ensure that the third party has lawful authority to provide us with your personal data.
The basis for processing your information and how we use it
Receiving and processing your personal data, as detailed above, for the application package / process is based on your consent and is exclusively used in the recruitment and application cycle.
We may further process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract. In this respect, we use your personal data for the following:
- to provide our core teaching, learning and research services to you, as outlined in AUBG Student Handbook, once you have enrolled at AUBG;
- to administer financial aid and scholarships, according to eligibility requirements;
- to provide library, IT and information services;
- to provide student support services (Disability and additional learning support, Careers and Advising Services, Student Medical Centre and psychologist services);
- to ensure students' safety and security;
- to manage student accommodation;
- to deal with any concerns or feedback you may have;
- to process personal data for other purposes for which you provide it to us.
We may also process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of our tasks carried out in the public interest, as set out in our mission statement and values, which can be found at www.aubg.edu/mission-values or because it is necessary for our legitimate interests. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- to provide you with educational services not listed in the AUBG Student Handbook but which are part of our academic and educational mission;
- to monitor and evaluate the performance and effectiveness of the university, including training and/or monitoring our staff performance;
- to maintain and improve the academic, corporate, financial, estate and human resource; management of the university;
- to promote equality and diversity throughout the university;
- to promote our services (e.g. provide information about summer schools, student exchange programs, or other events happening on and off campus);
- to seek advice on our rights and obligations;
- to recover money you may owe to AUBG;
- to support our fundraising efforts.
We may also process your personal data in relation to compliance with our legal obligations. In this respect, we may use your personal data for the following:
- financial audits;
- compliance with our regulatory and legal obligations;
- compliance with anti-money laundering laws and safeguarding requirements;
- prevention and detection of crime;
- criminal investigations - assist with investigations (including criminal investigations) carried out by the police and other competent authorities.
We may also process your personal data where:
- it is necessary for medical purposes (e.g. medical diagnosis, provision of health or social care or treatment, or a contract with a health professional);
- it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests; or
- we have your specific or, where necessary, explicit consent to do so.
Control and care over your data
We, as an institution with one of the highest rankings in Bulgaria, are striving to improve and upgrade our control systems – to include pseudonymisation of the collected and processed data, access controls, defined within the university, and most importantly – applied due care by our staff and faculty members. All measures are implemented against inadvertent or deliberate manipulation, loss, or destruction, and access by unauthorized persons
Who we share your data with
Your data may be shared with public authorities, such as Bulgarian Ministry of Education, National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation, Ministry of Foreign affairs (for visa purposes), etc. as part of our legal obligations. In cases we need to transfer your personal data to other third parties - donors, US loan institutions, internal and external auditors, insurance companies, etc., you will be notified, and asked for consent, if the data transfer process requires us to do so. In any case, we will share your personal data with high attention to the third parties’ level of technical and organizational ability to manage personal data as required by the GDPR standards.
How long we keep it
Personal data collected through the application process is stored for a period of three years following the admissions’ cycle. If you enroll at AUBG, information and personal data will be retained according to the legal requirements of the local authorities for maintain your academic record (including archiving purposes).
Collection and use by third-party vendors
We do not sell data or data-bases to third parties for any reasons.
You rights in relation to the personal data we hold:
- to request an access to your personal data we hold;
- to rectify or erasure your personal data;
- to restrict or object to processing concerning your data;
- to request data transfer to other parties;
- to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before this withdrawal;
- to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority – Commission for Personal Data Protection, address - 2 Prof. Tsvetan Lazarov Blvd., Sofia 1592.
To verify your contact details and update your preferences on what kind of information to receive from us, please visit this link.
To withdraw consent at any time, visit this link.
You may address your concerns or inquiries to our Data Protection Officer (DPO) – Margarita Petkova, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; tel +359 73 888 337.
Please visit AUBG Internal Rules for Data Protection for more information.