Mission & Values
The mission of the American University in Bulgaria is to educate students of outstanding potential in a community of academic excellence, diversity, and respect and to prepare them for democratic and ethical leadership in serving the needs of the region and the world.
Enduring Values that Guide Our Activities
The values of the University do not change over time but are fundamental to our identity, to who we are. Both our vision and our mission are informed by the values that were shared by the University's founders and which have guided the University since its inception in 1991:
- We believe that all of our programs and activities must be characterized by the highest standards of excellence.
- We are committed to the values of a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- We believe that all of the University's activities must be characterized by the highest standards of integrity.
- We embrace the values of open, democratic, and participatory governance both within the University and in the broader community.
- We are committed to the values of freedom of thought and expression.
- We understand that the most effective way to prepare students for successful and meaningful lives is through a rigorous academic program characterized by active and engaged learning within the context of the American liberal arts tradition.
- We are committed to the quest for new knowledge and support faculty and students in their process of discovery and creativity.
- We believe that the University has a responsibility to contribute to the welfare of the broader community and to promote social responsibility among all its constituents
Vision: Our Aspirations for the Next Five Years
We envision a community of diverse and creative students of outstanding potential living and learning together in an engaging and rigorous academic environment on a campus which offers world-class academic, recreational, and residential facilities. Mentored by internationally respected faculty committed to the liberal arts tradition, graduates will be fully prepared for lives of professional achievement, personal fulfillment, and service.
The American University in Bulgaria is a very special university – an institution that takes great pride in its mission and in the character and qualifications of the young people it educates. I am convinced that it gives you an excellent background towards new challenges, and to find your own place in this world.
~H. E. Mr. Martti Ahtisaari, Honorary Degree Recipient of AUBG, Nobel Prize Peace Winner for 2008
"The 2020 Vision" Strategic Plan 2016-2020